Reliance Globalcom Upgrades Trans-Atlantic FA-1 South Submarine Network to 100G with Ciena’s GeoMesh
HANOVER, Md. – March 14, 2013 – Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that Reliance Globalcom, a global provider of managed network and communication services for multinational enterprises and carriers, is upgrading its trans-Atlantic FA-1 South submarine network with Ciena’s GeoMesh solution. This upgrade will help Reliance Globalcom to better address growing global bandwidth demand for cloud computing, video and other high-bandwidth services, along the critical trans-Atlantic corridor.
- Reliance Globalcom owns and operates one of the world’s largest and most advanced private submarine network spanning more than 73,000 kilometers. When combined with more than 200,000 kilometers of domestic fiber owned by its parent company, Reliance Communications, the combined global network connects over 40 key business markets across India, the Middle East, Asia, Europe, and the United States.
- With Ciena’s GeoMesh solution (based on its market-leading 6500 Packet-Optical Platform powered by WaveLogic 3 coherent optical processors and optical bypass), Reliance Globalcom will have what is expected to be one of the first trans-Atlantic submarine networks capable of supporting OTN-based client services from OTU2 (10G) to OTU4 (100G). It will allow Reliance Globalcom to provide 100GbE services between continental points of presence (PoPs) – whether a large data center or a central office.
- The network upgrade will be managed by Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System, that provides multi-layer service management capabilities to enable streamlined service activation, robust fault management, and comprehensive performance monitoring, which results in optimal use of critical network assets, all the way from its New York PoP to its Paris PoP.
- Ciena is also providing Reliance Globalcom with professional services through its Specialist Services portfolio, specifically for installation, integration, testing and support.
- This deployment builds upon a long-standing relationship between Ciena, Reliance Globalcom, and its parent company, Reliance Communications. Over the past year, Ciena solutions have been used in several strategic capacity upgrades to support Reliance Globalcom’s submarine network, including a 100G coherent capacity upgrade to its Hawk network from Marseille to London, and its FEA network from Suez to Aqaba.
“Ciena’s unique GeoMesh solution enables us to quickly and significantly increase the information carrying capacity across our critical FA-1 submarine cable network while eliminating complexity and latency along the critical corridor serving data centers in New York and Paris. We can also seamlessly merge our submarine and terrestrial networks together, from our New York PoP to our Paris PoP, which was not possible in the past. Our strategic relationship with Ciena continues to grow – largely a result of their deep understanding of advanced networking and their innate ability to introduce creative new ways to design high performance global networks.”
– Punit Garg, President & CEO at Reliance Globalcom
“Terrestrial OTN-base networks continue to gain in popularity, primarily due to its numerous benefits over SONET/SDH and its support for optimized Ethernet transport. As terrestrial network adoption of OTN technology continues to increase, submarine networks interconnecting these land-based networks must support seamless handoff of these burgeoning new services. Our GeoMesh solution was developed by leveraging our deep understanding of how terrestrial and submarine networks are designed to create a unique submarine solution that enables our customers to not only streamline and modernize their network, but better monetize it as well.”
– Ed McCormack, VP and GM of International Accounts and Submarine Systems at Ciena
- Ciena’s latest generation of WaveLogic coherent optical processors allow network operators to maximize reach, capacity, flexibility, and reliability of their submarine networks with an operational focus on ease-of-deployment, cost efficiency, and protection of network investments. WaveLogic leverages industry-leading optical networking technology advancements that together offer network operators several key benefits, over and above simply moving to 100G line rates.
- The industry pioneer in coherent optical technology, Ciena is also the market leader with well over 20 million coherent-miles deployed worldwide, which is the equivalent distance to the moon and back, over 25 times.
- Ciena’s converged packet optical with WaveLogic coherent optical technology gives service providers significant bandwidth scalability, reliability and network intelligence – all key building blocks of an OPn network architecture.