Technical Operations Manager
LOCATION: HEATHROW, LONDON
SUB FUNCTION: SOLUTIONS ENGINEEERING
POSTED: 18 NOVEMBER 2016
A Technical Operations Manager UK is required to join the UK Solutions Engineering team. The Technical Operations Manager UK will be responsible for the Technical Operations function for the UK. The role will responsible for the Customer Design Authority, Integrated Services and 3rd line assurance functions. CDA Team is responsible for owning the end to end detailed design of customer networks. The manager will ensure that CDAs use the correct approach for all complex changes on the client network and will offer advice and support to ensure that they are implemented correctly. The manager will have approximately 5 direct reports and a total team size of approximately 10.
Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include overseeing:
- Lab/Bench Testing
- Type TC Changes
- Support for Network Refresh Projects
- Design Fault escalations from the 3rd Line teams
- Customer Meetings
- Other Technical Support
This role will also involve coaching, organizing and managing workload for the UK technical resources. Workload across all teams will need to be managed to ensure efficient and effective support for our customer network.
The IST team is responsible for the day to day implementation of the core MPLS network. They are responsible for:
- Quoting and Capacity checks on all carrier NNIs
- Implementing changes submitted to the IST Changes group
- Core migration projects
The 3rd line assurance team is responsible for working on customer faults that have been escalated from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd line teams in the GSC.
Developing close working relationships with customers as well as internal teams to provide excellent overall customer service.
People Management: Recruitment, Performance Management, 1:1’s, Personal Development Plans, Training Strategy and team meetings)
Providing day-to-day management and leadership to the CDA and operational technical teams in order to create a highly motivated and high performance team.
- Responsibility for any CDA required lab testing to support Type TC changes and testing of new design concepts for the client networks that they support.
Type TC Change Involvement
- Support and advise Sales Heads regarding technical detail of type TC proposal.
- Ensure DDD (Detailed Design Documentation) is updated and maintained throughout a customer contract.
- Ensure all technical documentation and topology diagrams are stored centrally and available for GCX teams as required.
- Mentor CDAs regarding best practice during implementation if required.
ACP Support & Network refresh projects
- Advise and assist on ACP (Annual Consultative Process) proposals.
- Support the project teams with technical information
- Oversee CDA function and ensure faults deemed as ‘design faults’ are fully investigated to find a resolution.
- Design faults will be faults that have been investigated by level 3 engineers in the NMC and found to be part of a design issue that needs investigation by the end to end low level design owner.
- Upon agreement with the Operations Director there may be occasions where the Technical Operations Manager UK will need to attend customer workshops/meetings for technical/design discussion.
Other Technical support
- Escalation point for technical issues on a customer network, IST and L3 engineering teams if required
Contact with others:
- Internal: Technical Consultants, Technical Design Authority, Service managers, Service Delivery and Assurance Teams, Operations Senior Management, Global IT Support Teams, Integrated Solutions Team
- External: Clients, Carriers, 3rd Party Suppliers
Skills and Experience
- Degree in an information technology or engineering based university course
- CCNP/CCIP Routing and Switching – OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, RIP, Redistribution, Filtering, summarization
- Low level design experience
- Security knowledge
- IPT solutions, Call manager and call manager express, Unity etc.
- Experience of leading a team
- Experience with Cisco IOS features – DHCP, HSRP, IP services, and IOS user interface, NAT, NTP, and SNMP etc.
- WAN and LAN experience – MPLS, Frame relay, IPSEC VPN’s, RAS solutions, Ethernet, Token ring, VLAN’s etc.
- Experience of Customer Escalation management
- Team/people Management. Experience of managing a team.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Demonstrate technical ownership for delivering or supporting solutions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and produce good quality work.
- Manage multiple project workloads.
- Experience working with sales teams to develop complex customer solutions.
- Ability to interact with senior management internally and externally.
- Sense of ownership to see things through to completion.
- Fluent in written and verbal English and fluent in an additional language is desirable
Technical/Functional Skills (“E” denotes Essential and “D” denotes Desirable)
- E – 5-7 years’ experience with Cisco IOS features – DHCP, HSRP, IP services, IOS user interface, NAT, NTP, SNMP etc
- E – 5-7 Years WAN and LAN experience – MPLS, Frame relay, IPSEC VPN’s, RAS solutions, Ethernet, Token ring, VLAN’s etc
- D – Experience in VOICE IPT Skills
- D – Working knowledge of Bluecoat skills
- E – Full end to end QOS knowledge – Classification, Congestion management and avoidance, Policing and shaping, link efficiency mechanisms etc.
- D – Able to gain quick understanding of the scalability for a given solution.
- D – Able to produce effective migration strategies and win customers approval
- D – Knowledge of Juniper, Extreme and Cisco product lines
The position requires prior experience in a similar role.
Job Type: Full-time
Employment Type: Permanent