Head of IT – Americas
LOCATION: DENVER, CO
SUB FUNCTION: IT OPERATIONS
POSTED: 12 FEBRUARY 2016
The role of Head of IT – Americas is to manage operations support for the new and legacy IT Infrastructure for Global Cloud Xchange throughout the United States. This person will have the opportunity to grow their IT skills in numerous areas while supporting a growing company in a dynamic IT environment. The ideal candidate will have 8-10 years’ experience working in IT. This person will be able to work independently, have superior management skills, possess the ability to adapt to new or changing situations and welcome the opportunity to take the initiative in identifying and proposing solutions to problems.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead IT Infrastructure team in the Americas, responsible for upkeep of end user systems, servers, telephony devices, and directly related network equipment, ensuring up time above 99.5 %.
- Directly support IT Infrastructure across six different geographically disbursed locations, and assist as needed with issues with numerous other locations across the globe.
- Directly manage, supervise, mentor, and grow the US IT department.
- Be directly responsible for regular health check of network and system devices.
- Coordinate with SME, 3rd party vendors and internal team for speedy resolution of network/system issues.
- Maintain proper documentation or all regular businesses process
- Maintain accurate inventories of IT equipment
- Perform housekeeping of the IT servers and user systems to ensure they are performing within specifications and running optimally.
- Ensure that the end user machines have the latest anti-virus and operating system patches to ensure IT security is current to industry standards.
- Work as subject matter expert for all IT Infrastructure related escalations.
- Manage the datacenter for two major locations (Denver and San Francisco); Work in collaboration with IT team in managing the physical server hardware in the Denver datacenter and provide direction to remote hands in San Francisco datacenter. This includes racking/installing new equipment and maintaining and repairing existing equipment located in both data centers.
- Provide primary tier III/IV level of support for OS level administration. Work collaboratively with applications teams in India and UK to help support and maintain business critical applications.
- Assist overseas help desk by providing secondary tier I/II level of support to end users when necessary due to nature of issue, need for on-site support, or due to security restrictions. This includes working with desktops, laptops, mobile devices and the normal range of corporate desktop applications.
- Contribute to the administration of the internal IT network including switch and firewall configuration.
Key Performance Indicators
- Key Result Area (KRA) measurements set for the organization and IT Infra Head on a quarterly basis.
- Individual Contribution Area (ICA) set on a quarterly basis by IT Infra Head.
- Uptime of IT systems (> 99.5%)
- Timely responses to/resolution of user submitted trouble tickets and centralized helpdesk team (z.helpdesk)
- Accurate inventory of IT systems & documentation of IT processes.
- Demonstration of knowledge-sharing throughout the department.
Skills and experience (“E” denotes Essential & “D” Denotes Desirable)
- E = Strong technical understanding with a wide range of Operating Systems: (Solaris 8-11, Linux, Windows Server 2003-2012, Windows XP-10, ExtremeOS, etc.) including system configuration, troubleshooting, security and remote access administration.
- E = Knowledge of a maintenance, upkeep, troubleshooting and repair of a wide range of IT and related hardware: (Sun, HP, Dell, IBM, Extreme, Cisco, etc.) at the end user and server levels.
- E = Knowledge of virtualization technologies (VMWare, Microsoft Hyper-V, etc.) including design, implementation, and upkeep.
- E = Knowledge in datacenter management including cooling, power, racks, cabling, fire protection, physical security and remote administration.
- E = Knowledge of network solution design and implementation.
- E = Administration of Microsoft business productivity software (Office 365, SharePoint, Exchange, Skype for Business).
- E = Knowledge of Active Directory operations and management (Windows AD, LDAP).
- D = Exposure to Telecom IT Infrastructure data/voice Servers and messaging system management highly desired (SIP, VOIP, etc.).
- D = Exposure to Industry trends, ITIL for incident management, change management and configuration management.
- D = Knowledge of Oracle, SQL Server, and Data dictionary.
- D = Hand On experience on Cisco/Juniper network and security equipment.
- D = Hand On experience on EMS, NMS, and OSS platforms.
- D = Ability to create and modify shell scripts (Bash, Perl, etc.).
- D = Knowledge of Web Servers and SSL certificate implementation (Apache, TomCat, etc.).
Competency & Behavioral Skills:
- E = Ability to operate effectively and efficiently in a high stress environment.
- E = Possess strong team leading and management skills.
- E = Patient problem solver and confident decision maker.
- E = Possess strong communication and presentation skills.
- E = Possess positive customer service attitude and practice friendly and polite interactions with customers (internal and external).
- E = Demonstrate ability to coordinate with vendors for the delivery of the components and installation in IT equipment.
- E = Strong team player who is disciplined in following/enforcing the support process.
- E = Capable of collaborative problem solving and comfortable working with people from different disciplines and skill areas to resolve challenges.
- E = Work efficiently with internal business teams, such as Commercial, Product, Customer Ops, Sales, Engineering, Legal, Finance, Network Ops, IT Application support, and development teams.
- E = Work efficiently with external vendors, such as RTS, RBPO, TDB, PWC, Microsoft, etc.
- E = Customer (user) service and result oriented; possess clear understanding of, and successfully carry out, IT’s role as enabler of functional requirements.
- E = Ability to maintain focus and achieve high level of performance in environment with minimal management.
- E = >8 years’ experience with IT in general
- E = >5 years’ experience in IT Infrastructure operation
- E = >3 years’ experience in a supervisory and/or management role
- E = Experience in high-volume helpdesk environment in support of mission critical applications
- D = Experience managing a team remotely
- D = Experience in geographically dispersed, multi-cultural environment (Especially from India)
- D = Experience of managing IT helpdesk end to end
- E = Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- D = Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- D = Windows Administration Certification
- D = Linux Certification – LPIC or equivalent
- D = VMWare or related virtualization Certification
- D = CCNA, CCNP, ITIL certifications
Job Type: Full-time
Employment Type: Permanent