LOCATION: BRENTFORD, UK
DEPARTMENT: PRODUCT MANAGEMENT
SUB FUNCTION: BID MANAGEMENT
POSTED: 20 JANUARY 2016
Leadership of a bid team for allocated opportunities which meet the criteria for “Bid Management”. Opportunities may cover multiple sales channels and include complex managed solutions and formal customer procurement processes
Management of written bid or proposal production with input from centralized content databases, as well as colleagues in sales, sales support, operations, product management, legal and finance
Management of customer submissions to pre-defined and pre-agreed timescales
Management of compliance with bid control processes for allocated bids
Contribution and maintenance of written content to central content databases covering standard products, services, solution approaches and general corporate content
Quality management of allocated bids and proposals at both key submission points as well as through win/loss reviews
Contribution to continuous improvement and quality assurance reviews
Feedback into Product Management team identifying where repeated “bids” for bespoke solutions could be converted into standardized products
Duties & Responsibilities
Central Bid and Content Management
- Creation of written bid content for use by sales teams globally based upon standard products, solutions and approaches including ownership of particular content items or subject matter
- Ongoing management of central content library in collaboration with Bid Management team and Product Marketing team globally
- Management of content review and refresh cycle for standard content to ensure all content remains in line with standard products and solution approach
- Advising on the use of standard content and messaging where appropriate outside of individually-managed sales opportunities (eg opportunities managed through sales-support or directly by sales function)
- Contribution to and active participation in the sales qualification process to ensure resources are focused on the most appropriate sales opportunities
- Maintenance of a level of client relationship appropriate to the sale, supporting the main sales relationship
- Liaison with partners / channels who may be a factor (supporter, contributor or intermediate customer) in completing and winning bids
- Management of allocated opportunities through appropriate bid control process ensuring process compliance and completion of reviews and internal approvals
- Contribution to the ongoing evolution of an effective bid control process
- Compliance with other integrated processes impacting or impacted by the bid control process
- Contribution to the development of the bid strategy for allocated opportunities, maximizing Global Cloud Xchange’s chances of winning
- Communication of the bid control process and the bid production process to all members of the team on allocated opportunities
- Project Management of the production of the formal bid response or proposal using tools such as a detailed bid plan and risk register so as to ensure the timely production of a bid and compliance with the bid control process
- Development of a response structure and the allocation of responsibilities and timescales in line with the bid plan.
- Identification of content required which may consist of existing standard content and specific areas of new or bespoke content that needs to be created by member of the bid team / stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Co-ordination of all required input, and management of all necessary internal and external teams to meet proposal production deadlines
- Monitoring and analysis of bid throughout the sales process to ensure that the overall solution optimizes Global Cloud Xchange’s chance of success
- Management and resolution of issues arising on any allocated bid under management
- Quality assurance of all allocated bids under management including consistency of written bid documents to remain in line with sales messages, and ensuring factual correctness
- Co-ordination of responses to customer queries
Sales Handover of Successful Bids
- Production and completion of documentation to facilitate the handover of a successful deal from sales into operations
Continuous Improvement & Win/Loss
- Contribution to continuous improvement and feedback programmes including win / loss and product marketing reviews
- Maintenance of a detailed understanding of the Global Cloud Xchange proposition and its evolution / development, market and competitive position and future strategy
- Maintenance of a detailed understanding of the Global Cloud Xchange product and solution portfolio, ensure it is professionally communicated to customers and prospects through written bid responses and proposals.
- Maintenance of industry-wide market knowledge and issues, especially those which directly affect Global Cloud Xchange’s customers, and how these translate into business needs.
For each allocated opportunity the bid team will comprise a number of disciplines including sales, pre-sales, pricing who must all be well briefed, co-ordinated and clear on what is required at all key stages in the bid process. Where the customer dictates a variance in the process, the Bid Manager is responsible for accommodating this and ensuring effective communication across the team.
The Bid Manager also works as a key member of the global Bid Management team, providing input to the ongoing development of the central library of standard content for use across multiple channels and media. The development and maintenance of standard content in this library is key to managing quality and ensuring scalability, and the Bid Manager will own one or more discrete categories of content in line with their skill set.
Pre-sales activities will form a key part of the overall bid process, in which the Bid Manager will play an important part, developing customer relationships with identified decision influencers or makers as appropriate. Activity may involve presenting the Global Cloud Xchange business and the specific proposition to customers either via meetings, formal presentation or other medium as required, ensuring Global Cloud Xchange’s proposition is developed for the optimum impact after bid submission. This will also aid intelligence gathering and gaining key information which may not be obvious from an RFP or ITT.
Key Performance Indicators
- Sales Target. Achievement of sales revenue targets (This metric is linked to remuneration plan as defined separately)
- Bid Quality. Win or lose, the quality of the bid should be measures by a customer as being in the upper quartile in terms of quality in both ‘look & feel’, content and sales messaging; to be measured as part of customer debrief process. An ongoing audit is effectively a part of the bid process to monitor the quality internally.
- Adherence to Bid deadlines. All bids must be produced in line with the programme agreed at the initial bid review and as requested by the customer. Where a customer demand is unreasonable, the Bid Manager in conjunction with the salesman may request a revised timescale. No agreed bid submission deadline should be missed.
- Bid control process compliance. Every allocated bid must follow the appropriate bid control process to ensure approvals, governance and manage risk.
- Bid Content. Production of standard modular bid content in line with internal standards and corporate messaging for use in bids, proposals and documents globally.
- Pre-Sales Activities. Contribution to the development of customer relationships through inter-personal relationship building, customer presentation and articulation of Global Cloud Xchange and the specific proposition in support of the sales effort. Measured by both feedback from prospects and team members.
Skills and Experience (“E” denotes Essential & “D” Denotes Desirable)
- E = Deep knowledge of networks, managed services and Cloud computing
- E = Strong written (English & German) skills with a particular emphasis on sales-oriented writing
- E = Good skills with all Microsoft tools (especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- E = Capable of bid “storyboarding”, integrating a sales strategy and developing customer-specific sales messages
- D = Commercially aware and knowledge of a variety of commercial deal structures
Competency & Behavioral Skills:
- E = Good communicator internally and externally
- E = Consultative customer skills
- E = Result Orientation
- E = Problem solving & decision making skills
- D = Analytical skills and data manipulation
- E = Team & Relationship Orientation
- D = Board level relationships (CIO/IT Director)
- 2 + years demonstrable, successful Bid Management results selling complex solutions in a dynamic IT or telecommunications environment.
- Numerate, commercial & with good written English skills, especially in producing sales-oriented written content
- Able to work to tight deadlines and produce solid work that is both correct and to a high standard.
- Attentive to detail
- Fluent in English and German
- Highly self-motivated and work well under pressure
Education (“E” denotes Essential & “D” Denotes Desirable)
- D = Degree in Information Technology or Business Studies, or Engineering based degree/diploma
- D = Association of Proposal Management Professionals / Shipley International or other professional accreditation
Excellent written & spoken German language skills to enable the Bid Manager to work with the GCX sales team based in Germany on bids requiring responses in local language.
Job Type: Full-time
Employment Type: Permanent